Welcome to the March 2023 edition of the Common Fate Community Newsletter! If you want to contribute to what we're building, or would like more regular weekly updates, please join our Slack community or follow us on Twitter!
Here's what's been happening in the world of Common Fate over the past month:
We've been hard at work developing new features to make the Common Fate experience even better. Here are just a few of the new features we've recently released:
- Access Providers are here. We can now build integrations with the Core Framework of Common Fate and provision access to virtually any service or application. Check out the release notes here.
- Provider Development Kit (PDK). The PDK makes is super simple to develop and deploy Access Providers using Python.
class Provider(provider.Provider): api_url = provider.String() @access.target() class Target: ... @access.grant() def grant(p: Provider, subject: str, target: Target): # perform API calls here to grant access ... @access.revoke() def revoke(p: Provider, subject: str, target: Target): # perform API calls here to revoke access ...
A few exciting things we’re working on that are set to be released very soon:
- Very soon, a large library of Access Providers will be released and ready for you all to try.
- In the Registry, all Community built providers and Common Fate built providers will be made available for users.
Approval Policy Engine
- Teams can define their own approval workflows and automate the process of handling the granting or revoking of access.
- Depending on how teams wish to handle this workflow, the approval process can be customised to suit a number of uses cases.
- Below the ‘multi-party’ approval workflow has been defined.
Common Fate Cloud
The team is hard at work on a managed, self-serve version of Common Fate which includes additional organisational features for larger teams, compliance features and is supported by an SLA.
If you’d like to know more, you can join the waitlist and we will be in touch.
A few shoutouts from this month to Common Fate Community members:
- decisivedevops made his first contribution in #377. Thank you for this and appreciate your help updating our documentation.
- Shoutout to lyoung-confluent for sharing his thoughts on a new credential store for Granted (#395). Thank you and appreciate your first contribution.
- Thanks to dsech for opening issue #390 regarding allowing a specifying destination profile with
- Thank you to matthewhembree for suggesting another improvement to Granted in #387.
- Thanks to jhuntwork for contributing an improvement to our shell support in #389.
- A bunch of other community members using Common Fate have made some excellent UX suggestions. We really appreciate this feedback!
- special thanks to: Shreyas Damle, Brandon Sherman, Flavio Elawi, David Behroozi, Mike Peachey and Alex Jurkiewicz just to name a few.
If you want to be part of the action, join our Community Slack here.
We have some exciting events coming up in the near future! Mark your calendars for:
- AWS Sydney Summit, 4 April 2023 (next week)
- Josh (engineer), Ellie (product) and Jack (engineering) will all be there
- AWS London Summit, 7 June 2023
- Chris (co-founder, CTO) will be there in person
As always, we want to hear from you! If you have any feedback, suggestions, or ideas for how we can make Granted and Common Fate even better, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Until next time,
The Common Fate Team